How to implement mobile AMP pages to your site, know more about accelerated mobile pages. Benefits of accelerated mobile pages AMP. How to setup AMP pages to your website. AMP implementation guide for your website. Why to setup AMP pages to your website? Benefits of AMP pages to your site.
Mobile AMP is still new to the SEO. Webmasters should consider this strategy by implementing on their site for better UX and site traffic.
All these elements cause your site pages to load slowly especially on slower internet connections.
As you might expect, it dramatically lowers your user experience and a risk of losing many of your potential customers.
You might be using a smartphone device to search or visit a news site for information. And Google cares much about you by forcing Webmasters to implement their Mobile-friendly sites (for Developers) for great user experience in mobile devices.
From research, more than 60% of internet users are using a mobile device. It’s a big percentage and it keeps rising as mobile technology is rising and more people are having more access to smartphones.
How are webmasters going to simplify things for this riding mass of mobile users? Somehow there must be some optimizations to achieve this factor.
The effect of Mobile AMP is a super-fast web page loading speed which has a direct advantage to the user experience as well as improving site conversion rate which is an added advantage to marketers.
AMP is an innovation from Google and Twitter and is a mobile open-source coding standard for publishers which was rolled out in 2015.
Since its release, many sites have been affected by SERPs if their sites aren’t optimized for mobile user experience. AMP pages are rewarded with higher mobile search engine ranking which boosts a site traffic and more importantly leads to increased conversion rate.
How about non-mobile search?
Don’t worry, keyword ranking isn’t affected if your users are using non-mobile search experience.
Wow! That’s awesome.
But there is a catch.
You see, AMP is a lightweight mobile page technology which simplifies the load speed processes thus leaving behind those heavy loads you might have to consider very helpful to your readers.
Nonetheless, with this limitations, you’ve got the option to have two version of any of your site pages (one for AMP and original one).
Alright. You get some ideas.
Mobile AMP Components:
AMP comes with three components which you’ll need to consider when building your website on top of AMP. These parts include:
- AMP HTML: similar to the normal HTML but comes with extended custom AMP properties. It contains mostly HTML tags with a few HTML tags replaced with AMP-specific tags (AMP HTML) which make the AMP easy to implement.
- Google AMP Cache: is a proxy-based content delivery network. It works by delivering all valid AMP documents by gathering AMP HTML pages, caching them and increasing performance of your site. Moreover, it also comes with a built-in validation system that confirms that web pages are guaranteed to work without depending on any external resources.
How AMP web pages interact with Google search
Simple. It’s displayed uniquely from other SERP results. Moreover, most of these AMP pages are given a priority as the first results on top in their carousel display or with an AMP label before the page URL.
Or even this screenshot of a SERP showing how a page is optimized for mobile AMP:
As per the effectiveness of AMP pages, Google prioritizes this strategy for users to click those pages which load faster on their mobile device. Users will have to experience faster page load speed which is a strategy for Google to satisfy user’s intent with better search results and most importantly give them a priority to browse AMP sites even with slower connections.
With the knowledge of users’ familiar with AMP, they probably visit those sites with the AMP logo on Google search leaving behind the non-AMP results.
Effect OF AMP on SEO
SEO developers will highly benefit from the effects of AMP on mobile devices. Its advantages are realistic and ideal for marketers who need to optimize their business products or services or even bloggers who are performing lead generation to get high traffic to their site while engaging them with great UX.
The goal of AMP is speed. This matters a lot when it comes to creating an environment where site performance is essential to site users.
By improving the performance of your site load time as well as how those pages are optimized for users is essential when it comes to keeping your visitors stay for a while on your site.
And while making them stay; it gives you a better chance of converting them which is the best strategy for every website owner.
Since AMP aims for simplicity, the content is more likely to be read (engaged).
It starts with Google SERP. When your page is optimized with AMP, it gets an opportunity to be displayed on top of search results which attracts more eyeballs, leading to more clicks/visits of which at the end it leads to higher viewability rates.
Not to mention higher CTRs or eCPMs. Marketers ought to leverage this strategy for site visibility and exposure to what they offer either directly or indirectly.
Since you’re here, let’s now look at the positive impact of AMP on your SEO journey.
Opportunity to increase view by Google’s SERP Carousel
SEO is not an easy task to perform especially when there is high competition for your niche keywords. As a webmaster, you’ll strive with a lot of SEO techniques to optimize your site with dire hopes of seeing your efforts rewarded by boosting your page on search engine ranking. This is all the hopes we all strive to accomplish – a competition to get a spot on Google’s Top 5 higher ranked results on SERPs.
And here comes the magnificent of AMP Carousel. A tool located at the very top of SERPs- above the optimized 1st ranked organic search results, above even some Paid search results- above everything!
The positive effect of Carousel are:
- Increased brand authority: brand authority is the top Google ranking factor when it comes to displaying user query on search engines. With the carousel, users tend to get an impression that your site is of high quality which over time, with repeated carousel displays will signal to Google that your site needs to be boosted with increased brand authority.
- Higher CTR (Click-Through-Rate): first results on Google receives higher click-through rate since it exposes higher visibility which increases the chances of visitors clicking on your AMP page rink. With this strategy, you’ll win a lot of battle unlike striving with SEO within the realms of highly ranked competitors.
- Ads ads ads: Please wait. Did you know that with AMP your site ads are optimized while creating user experience? Even with the simplicity of your mobile content? Well, right from the Carousel, since users are impressed that your website holds the super brand authority as being displayed on the very top results of their search query, definitely, they’ll be more likely to engage with your mobile ads thus improving on your ad click-through-rate.
Les keep going.
Improved mobile ranking.
Search engines use different factors to rank web pages. Even though AMP doesn’t directly affect your mobile ranking, it’s smart to use it to get a chance of boosting your site pages on top of SERPs on mobile. Since a lot of internet users are using mobile, strategically implementing AMP will get your pages boosted higher beating even the most authority non-AMPed pages.
This strategy is SIMILAR to increasing your site keyword ranking since you’ll have demoted most of the potential sites which might have beat you if you didn’t implement your mobile AMP pages.
Enhanced Mobile User Experience (UX)
Google does know how important it is to design mobile-friendly sites. And this is something webmasters ought not to neglect. Since AMP emphasizes on speed and user experience, it’s not a surprise that your site will greatly improve your user experience while interacting with your site products or services.
Because of Google’s decision to place the AMP logo on search results as well as displaying the AMP results on a carousel, it signal to the user that the site has great UX with super load speed hence improving the chance of visitors clicking on those links. AMP boost your SERP display location hence creating higher chances of click-through-rate
Improved Ad Performance
Ads had a tendency of swaying visitors away. Not anymore with Mobile AMP. Ads on AMP perform better with publishers reporting a 90% of higher click-through-rates as well as Effective Cost Per Thousand Impressions (eCPMs).
You may wonder: Why Mobile AMP improve ad performance?
- Your ads will load faster like your mobile pages
- Your ads will be optimized for higher viewability rates (more views)
- AMP strictly emphasizes on improving the user experience. This means your ads will also be optimized to look better and integrated better on your site.
How to Implement AMP on Your Website
Since you’ve understood how AMP can benefit your site and your users, it’s time to get some useful tips on how to install it on your site.
There are two ways to successfully implement it.
- Partial AMP: this is where you already run a website and want to incorporate it into AMP for mobile users. In this case, you have to create two version of your site pages (AMP version and a non-AMP)
To avoid Google duplicate content, use a canonical link in order to link your AMP page to a regular page.
- Full AMP: its building your site from start using mobile AMP approach. Though your site will become easy to maintain and use fewer resources, your site will have less functionality since AMP restricts using heavy site functions that slow down your site pages.
With those two options, it now becomes easy to create a site with AMP. Ampproject.org provides a complete documentation on how to use Mobile AMP on your site.
Is your site running on WordPress CMS?
If yes, you can automatically create or convert your website to Mobile AMP with some useful plugins. Use plugins like AMP Plugin to automatically generate accelerated mobile pages for every post you create. You only need to add “/amp/ to the end of each post URL. Here is a good article on how to install AMP on WordPress.
The internet is undergoing through a great turbulence of creating itself to be a centre of improving user experience and their search intent. Google is ahead in this implementation and they are at the forefront of understanding how users interact with their search engines and the site they visit.
Mobile AMP is one of the way forward to improving user experience and advancing how websites performance affects user interaction. With well optimized mobile AMP sites, brand services and products are more likely to engage with visitors while improving conversions.